/ricerca/ansait/search.shtml?tag=
Show less

Se hai scelto di non accettare i cookie di profilazione e tracciamento, puoi aderire all’abbonamento "Consentless" a un costo molto accessibile, oppure scegliere un altro abbonamento per accedere ad ANSA.it.

Ti invitiamo a leggere le Condizioni Generali di Servizio, la Cookie Policy e l'Informativa Privacy.

Puoi leggere tutti i titoli di ANSA.it
e 10 contenuti ogni 30 giorni
a €16,99/anno

  • Servizio equivalente a quello accessibile prestando il consenso ai cookie di profilazione pubblicitaria e tracciamento
  • Durata annuale (senza rinnovo automatico)
  • Un pop-up ti avvertirà che hai raggiunto i contenuti consentiti in 30 giorni (potrai continuare a vedere tutti i titoli del sito, ma per aprire altri contenuti dovrai attendere il successivo periodo di 30 giorni)
  • Pubblicità presente ma non profilata o gestibile mediante il pannello delle preferenze
  • Iscrizione alle Newsletter tematiche curate dalle redazioni ANSA.


Per accedere senza limiti a tutti i contenuti di ANSA.it

Scegli il piano di abbonamento più adatto alle tue esigenze.

Safe countries issue crucial for migration policies-Meloni

Safe countries issue crucial for migration policies-Meloni

Hearing at the EU Court on migrant centres began yesterday

ROME, 26 febbraio 2025, 14:56

Redazione ANSA

ANSACheck
- RIPRODUZIONE RISERVATA

- RIPRODUZIONE RISERVATA

The issue of listing which countries are safe to repatriate migrants is crucial to migration policies, Premier Giorgia Meloni said in joint statements with visiting Swedish Prime Minister Ulf Kristersson ahead of an end-May-start-of-June European Court of Justice ruling on an issue that has so far stymied Italy's innovative but controversial protocol with Albania to process migrants in the non-EU country.
    The hearing before the European Union's Court of Justice on the Italy-Albania protocol began yesterday. The Luxembourg judges were to hear preliminary appeals filed by the Tribunal of Rome, which has yet to recognise the legitimacy of arrests ordered against migrants rescued in the Mediterranean and transferred to the other side of the Adriatic because they come from countries considered safe by the Italian government, namely Egypt and Bangladesh.
    "The European Commission accepts that Directive 2013/32" on asylum procedures "allows Member States to designate countries of origin as safe" while also "providing for exceptions for categories of people," said the EU's Commission lawyer Flavia Tomat during the hearing on the Italy-Albania protocol at the EU Court of Justice. Brussels emphasised that the rules "do not prevent the designation of a country of origin as safe when safety is not guaranteed" as a whole "for certain categories of people," she explained, adding that these groups must in any case "be clearly identifiable." On April 10, the Advocate General of the European Court of Justice will present his conclusions on the joint cases involving the Italy-Albania protocol and the definition of safe countries of origin. The ruling is thus expected between the end of May and the beginning of June.
   

ALL RIGHTS RESERVED © Copyright ANSA

Not to be missed

Condividi

Or use

ANSA Corporate

If it is news,
it is an ANSA.

We have been collecting, publishing and distributing journalistic information since 1945 with offices in Italy and around the world. Learn more about our services.